Wednesday, May 23, 2018

What I'm Reading

Hello Readers!

It's almost time to make my summer reading list, that blessed day where I enter the library empty-handed and emerge an hour later with ten beautiful books in my arms!

But while I wait for the big day, I'm working through some books that appeared on my radar last year and just haven't made it to my hands until now.  Here's what I'm reading:

As I Lay Dying, by William Faulkner:  If you've met me, then you know that Faulkner is my literary boyfriend.  I read this novel years ago, and I even taught it for a year, but I'm now reading it again with my literary book club.  It's a family saga as only Faulkner can present it: with a handful of narrators and an examination of identity, tradition, responsibility, and humanity.

Fen, by Daisy Johnson: This one was recommended by one of my fabulous former students.  I'll read anything she suggests. Fen is a short story collection that blurs the line between fantasy and reality...it reminds me in many ways of a magical realism text.  The focus is on relationships, both with oneself and with others...in particular, the physicality of relationships.

Strange Bird, by Jeff Vandermeer: I loved Borne.  And I write that with full acceptance that I typically have an aversion to science fiction (I don't know why, so please don't ask.  I will simply shrug.).  This novella takes place in the Borne universe, one I was excited to get back into.  The bad news here is that I have momentarily misplaced the book...which lets me know it's time to declutter my life.

Before I make my library run, I'm wondering...what's on your summer reading list?

No comments:

Post a Comment