Monday, January 1, 2018

Sending My Baby into the World

My goal was to have Miranda in clean manuscript form by the end of the year, and last night at 10:30 I did just that.  I finished the final read-through, made some tweaks to the dates within the piece to firm up the timeline, and polished the consistency of phrasing throughout.  Needless to say, I was pretty darn excited, and so celebrated the new year with a rousing family game of Bananagrams, a toast with sparkling grape juice, and a good night's rest.

Today I will begin the query process for Miranda.  If you've been reading my blog, you know that I'm no stranger to this part of the publishing journey.  I've had some major highs such as engaging in a rewrite process with a literary agent, a process that improved my manuscript and boosted my confidence.  I've also had some pretty major lows; it's never easy to face rejection, especially when it's a rejection of something you feel is a part of you.

But today I will begin again.  And I can't think of a more poetic day to start anew than New Year's Day.

Sending off a query, a partial, or a full manuscript is a bit like sending your child to school on her first day.  Miranda was first conceived over ten years ago (probably more like fifteen) when I picked up a vintage photograph at a craft festival.  It's been the work that has lived within me the longest, and we've fought each other along with way.  Searching for a narrative voice, having a main character veer from the path I'd laid out for her, taking me down twists and turns I wasn't prepared for, the revelation that there would be a whole other novel within this one.  It's been a long, winding road, but I wouldn't trade a moment of it.

I love this novel.  I started work on it when I was in my twenties and the whole world was open to me.  Before I was a mother, before I was a teacher, before I was a mother of two, before I began work on Slings and Arrows, Sweet Divinity, My Literary Boyfriends, before any of it and through all of it, there has been Miranda.  I've changed so much since this work began.  I've grown, matured, gained experience (and hopefully wisdom), and the novel changed with me.

And so today it feels like I'm dropping Miranda off for the first day of school.  I've prepared her for this day.  I've washed her hair and combed it down, I've explained to her how to put her best foot forward and to be patient and respectful to those around her, and I've told her that she is strong, and beautiful, and good.

I know that there will be struggles along the way.  I know that my heart will be hurt.  I also know that there will be moments of affirmation and immeasurable joy.

I am ready.  And Miranda is ready.  It's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment