Monday, January 15, 2018

Do Something Beautiful for the World

Today we celebrate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  Many of us are off from work or school, and so we have a day to ourselves, to pursue whatever calls to us, or whatever tasks we didn't quite get completed this weekend.  I plan to work on Reliance; in fact, I'm practically bursting with story!

And yet, perhaps today we could also spend some time doing something positive for the world.  I realize that by the time you read this post, it may be late in the day and so too late to plan a large-scale project, but I don't think it takes large-scale projects to make the world a better place.

Sure, the world is in need of major positive impacts.  Next weekend I will be volunteering with a group of friends to work on a Habitat for Humanity house.  I'm so excited for this day, not only because I love getting my hands dirty for the improvement of others, but also because I took a Stagecraft class back in college when I was majoring in English but also working in the theatre, and I haven't used those skills in a while!

But there are so many smaller ways we can make positive change, and I encourage you to take part in one of them today.  Perhaps you could write a note to a friend, a family member, or even a mere acquaintance who may be in need of encouragement.  Take a container of hot cocoa and marshmallows to the family next door.  Pay for the meal of the person behind you if you go out to eat.  Go through your trash and pull out the recyclables, then put them in that blue container you use to collect leaves in the fall (the one with the recycling symbol on it).  Go for a walk and meditate on this beautiful creation all around you, and consider what part you play.  Make cards and drop them off at a hospice house nearby.  Sit on the couch with your child or a friend, and watch that movie you've been meaning to get to.  Spend time together.

A couple of years ago on parent-teacher conference day, I had back to back parent conferences where the parents told me that their children had a passion for the arts or humanities, but that they had told the children that the only career path they would support was in engineering.  Really, this happened, back to back.  I was so frustrated and also insulted as clearly they had no qualms in implying that my career, or one like it, was not acceptable for their children.  When the third conference began, I was demoralized, to say the least.  And yet, the first question out of these parents' mouths was, "Our daughter loves creative writing.  What can we do to encourage her and help her get better at it?"  This family went on to tell me that part of their children's allowance each week depended on the children "making something beautiful for the world".  One was a creative writer, one wrote original songs on the guitar...you see where we're going with this.  They gathered as a family on Sunday evenings to share their contributions to the world.  When I heard this story, I was overcome.  And I will never, ever forget that conference or that student.  She was one of the happiest students I've ever known.

Today, make something beautiful for the world.  Make the world a little better because you're here.  Leave a positive impact on this day.  You can do it, even in small ways.  And perhaps this practice will teach us all to use our gifts to make the world even more inspirational.

No comments:

Post a Comment