Sunday, January 15, 2017

What I'm Reading This Week!

I am a writer, so therefore I am also an avid reader.  Makes sense, right?  And thus, I am often reading multiple texts during any given period, in addition to reading the original works of my Creative Writing students.  This week I'm reading an eclectic set of books, including a biography, a nonfiction work about teenage girls, and a graphic novel for young readers.

Charles and Emma: The Darwins' Leap of Faith, Deborah Heiligman
This book is the latest in my biography series.  Last summer I decided that I was tired of my husband knowing more than I do about history, so I decided to walk into the public library and read the first book on the shelf in the "Biography" section, no matter the subject.  I selected John Adams, by David McCullough, or perhaps it chose me.  I'd never read a biography that so captivated me; it was truly a fantastic read.  I decided to proceed alphabetcally, so the next biography I chose was Beethoven: The Man Revealed, by John Suchet, followed by Cleopatra: A Life, by Stacy Schiff.  I've been fortunate that each of these works has taught me, kept me entertained, and expanded my understanding of people.  Charles and Emma is no exception.  It is the telling of Darwin's life and the creation of Origin of the Species, but with a special emphasis on the relationship he had with his wife, Emma, who was a deeply religious woman.  So far, another compelling read.  Interestingly, it seems this book was intended for a younger audience, yet I found it in the adult biography section: lucky me!

Enough: 10 Things We Should Tell Teenage Girls, Kate Conner
I was gifted this book by a friend who recently sent her teenage daughter off to college.  As I have a young daughter of my own (though not quite a teenager--a "tween", she insists), my friend thought this book would help me prepare for the journey ahead.  Conner writes in a conversational way and doesn't act as if she has all of the answers.  What she does have is life experience, which she reflects upon to help parents understand the power of our words and deeds upon our daughters.  There is a religious bent, but like the rest of the book, it isn't "preachy", just a point of view, and a subtle, organic one at that.  So far, this book is giving me confidence that maybe I won't screw up my daughter's life, and maybe, just maybe, she won't "hate" me during the coming years (I hear you chuckling).

The Red Pyramid, Rick Riordan and Orpheus Collar
Let me begin by stating that the last book I read along with my daughter was Serafina and the Black Cloak by Robert Beatty.  I loved it, but my daughter had to stop reading because the vivid nature of the book frightened her.  How she has managed to read The Red Pyramid three times is beyond me;  it's pretty intense!  I think it's important to read what my children are reading (easy for me to say as my son is currently obsessed with Sandra Boynton), so in that spirit, I'm reading this graphic novel.  I've just begun, so there isn't much to say, but I've found a new appreciation for the graphic novel in recent months.  I recently read book two of the Maus series by Art Spiegelman, and I'm amazed at the way these writers use visuals to enhance their works.  I won't be adding illustrations to my work any time soon (my high school art teacher can support this decision), but I'm amazed at those who do.

On Deck:  I recently borrowed the book S. by J.J. Abrams from a former student.  I just adore experiential reads, and so I'm excited to dive in.  And on a recent trip to the bookstore with some Christmas money (yippee!), I purchased The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, The Rain in Portugal by Billy Collins, The Spy by Paulo Coelho (autographed!), Thirst by Mary Oliver (which I have already read and gifted to friends--I decided it was time to gift it to myself!), and Upstream by Oliver.  Good times ahead!

What are you reading?  Comment below!  I love recommendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment