Thursday, June 6, 2019

Beach Reads 2019!

A few days ago, I participated in my "Summer is Here!" ritual: walking the stacks of the library, judging books by their covers.  If you haven't read my post on this ritual, you can find it back in June of 2018.  It's my favorite day of the year, and , yes, that means I like it even better than my birthday.  Here's my Summer 2019 stack, along with my thoughts (often quite superficial) upon choosing each book:

Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard by Kiran Desai: The bright cover caught my eye, but so did the name of the author.  I am embarrassed to say that I've never read a book by Desai, though one of my AP Lit students' least favorite prompts is from The Inheritance of Loss, which I've picked up on several occasions only to realize that the timing wasn't right.  That said, I chose this one, no joke, because I love guavas and "hullabaloo" is one of my favorite words.  Go ahead--judge me.

Jack the Ripper: Case Closed by Gyles Brandreth: The most recent book in the Oscar Wilde Mysteries, a series I spend time in every summer.  I absolutely adore these books because I adore Wilde.  What a man!  What a life!  What extravagance!  You may recall my recent near-faint experience when I passed by the Savoy on a bus, so my excitement about this book shouldn't surprise anyone.  The American title is Oscar Wilde and the Return of Jack the Ripper, but it's only available in hardback, and I prefer a nice paperback at the beach, so, to my chagrin, this book will not match the others in the Gyles Brandreth section of my library.  (I purchased this book since the library did not have it--a travesty!)  I also have a peculiar fascination with all things Jack the Ripper, so the marriage of the two in this book certainly has my expectations at an insanely high level.

The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon by Alexander McCall Smith: If you follow this blog, then you know that each summer the first book I read at the beach is the next in McCall Smith's "No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" series.  To me, his books mean "summer".  If you've not begun this series, I encourage you to do so.  Both men and women love the main character, Mma Ramotswe, along with the mysteries and the cultural aspects of the books. 

Possessing the Secret of Joy by Alice Walker: I realize this one doesn't seem like a "beach book".  The subject matter is heavy, but important, but when I'm at the beach, I find I can think clearly and better deal with the issues that are troubling me.  I admire Walker more than I can say; I truly believe she's one of our greatest living writers.  I will read anything she writes, be it novel, poem, or lecture.  And you should too.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera: Perhaps my most superficial choice.  The title is beautiful.  The cover features a bowler hat floating above a sepia toned lane.  I know I've heard of this book.  Now's the time.

If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin: I always read a book before seeing the movie, and I'm ashamed to say I didn't know about this book before the movie adaptation began receiving such great acclaim.  My lack of knowledge shows exactly why voices that have been denied a place in the literary canon need to be brought to the forefront.  I'm excited to read this one as I'm new to Baldwin (also an embarrassing admission), though I Am Not Your Negro is one of the most poignant, important films I've seen.  I'm looking forward to reading Baldwin's words on the page.

Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay: The pink cover with swirly, black script caught my eye.  The reference to Austen and the epistolary form are right up my alley.  That's all it took.

Swallowing Mercury by Wioletta Greg: Shortlisted for the Booker Prize.  Written by an award-winning poet.  Beautiful cover.  Yes, please.

Curtain by Agatha Christie: No one should ever need to explain why they're reading an Agatha Christie novel.  A few years ago, I chose to have "The Summer of Agatha Christie", and I tore through her novels.  Thankfully, there are still a few left to read.  If you've never picked up a Christie novel, I am incredibly sad for you.  You need to right this wrong, immediately.

At the Water's Edge by Sarah Gruen: I adored Water for Elephants.  I love novels set in times and places I have only ever imagined.  I also adore a book that incorporates vintage photographs (just one reason I also love Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children).  I'm excited to read another book by the author.  I didn't even need to read the inside flap.  She had me at Water for Elephants.

This is my starter list for summer.  What should I read once I finish this stack?  Leave your recommendations in the comments here or on my Instagram post!  

No comments:

Post a Comment