Sunday, May 21, 2017

And now for something completely different...

One of the questions I've often asked myself is: What kind of writer am I? And by that I mean, in what genre does my work fit?

As I've written on this blog, I love writing in the chick lit genre, particularly about the American South.  I have stories for days, a veritable well from which I can draw inspiration. Certainly Sweet Divinity fits perfectly into this style and genre, as does My Literary Boyfriends.  Yet I also enjoy writing literary fiction; at least, I have enjoyed writing it when working on my manuscript of Miranda.

So the question remains: What genre suits me best?  And I think the answer is "both".

When I first set out on my journey to publish, I just sent out whichever manuscript was ready, not a worry about a long-term career.  I just wanted to publish.  But the more I work, the more I know this is what I wish to do, consistently, for the rest of my life.  Therefore I came to the realization that perhaps I had to choose: Am I a Sophie Kinsella or a Jane Green, a Caassandra Clare or a Chris Cleve?  It seems as if in order to market your book, one must market herself, and that requires defining yourself as a writer.

But the truth is, I am both a chick lit writer and a writer of literary fiction, and I'm pretty sure I've got some nonfiction inside of me as well.

So while I'm still seeking representation for Sweet Divinity, I think I'll give Miranda a little bit of love, and we'll see if she strikes an agent's fancy.  Besides, while I can be sweet and humorous, I certainly believe I'm complex enough to be gothic and metaphysical as well.  We should all own our unique complexities.  And I'm ready to own mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment